Let’s start the year off right! Easy and fun healthy recipes with my nutritionist Rachel Beller- Beller Nutritional Institute LLC.Share with your friends!! #camilascode #healthytips http://womenoftoday.com/2016/01/06/starting-off-the-new-year-healthy-happy-and-beautiful/
Posted by Camila Alves on Wednesday, January 6, 2016
Happy New Year! My good friend and dietician, Rachel Beller, has some great tips on how to start the year happier and healthier! Infused waters are an easy way to move your diet in a healthier direction and common ingredients including ginger, lemon and cinnamon can help reduce inflammation, balance post-meal blood sugars, provide vitamin C and even reduce the risk of breast cancer. Detoxifying green juices don’t have to only be sipped through a straw, Rachel’s Green Beller Basic can be consumed as a smooth OR as a refreshing popsicle and with only 220 calories and 10 grams of fiber! For the busy mom out there, try preparing a nutritious twist on a Mexican lunch favorite: a Nori Burrito! Made with either tuna or a vegan alternative, the nori (seaweed) has amazing anti-oxidant properties, is high in calcium and the chickpeas are rich in both protein and fiber.
Check out the details of her recipes below and make sure to pick up her book, “Power Souping” which comes out March 22nd.
Ginger Lemon Cucumber Elixir
● 2 or 3 slices of fresh ginger, depending on strength
● ½ lemon, thinly sliced
● ¼ of a medium cucumber
● 1 glass or mason jar filled with 12 oz of filtered cold water
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a glass or mason jar and infuse for 30 minutes to an hour.
Balancing Tonic: (Pre-Meal) Spiced Apple Cinnamon Ginger
● 2 to 3 slices of fresh ginger
● ¼ of a Fuji apple, sliced
● 1 cinnamon stick
● 1 tsp of Bragg’s unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar
● 12 oz filtered hot water
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a cup and infuse for 30 minutes to an hour.
Green Beller Basic Detox Smoothie Bowl & Pops
● 1/2 cup organic plain 2% kefir (or plant based milk if kefir is not available)
● 1 frozen banana (cut into pieces)
● 1 handful baby spinach
● 1/4 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
● 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Smoothie Bowl: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour smoothie in a bowl and add toppings of choice.
Popsicle Mold: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for at last an hour.
● Buckwheat Groats- Gluten Free and super crunchy (1 TBS=40 calories)
● Slivered Almonds (1 TBS= 50 calories)
● Fresh Berries – ¼ cup = approx 20 calories
Nori/Seaweed Burrito – Low Mercury Tuna or Vegan Tuna
● 2 Five ounce cans of low-mercury tuna
● 1 tablespoon guacamole or Greek yogurt
● 2 celery stalks, chopped
● ¼ cup red onion
● ¼ cup fresh dill or parsley, chopped
Vegan Tuna Salad:
● 3 cups chickpeas, no salt added
● 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
● 1-2 dill pickles, finely chopped
● 2 Tablespoon of vegan mayo or ½ avocado
● 1 Tablespoon of lime juice
● 1 Nori Sheet
Vegetable stuffers ideas:
shredded red cabbage
For Tuna Salad: Mix all of the tuna salad ingredients in a bowl.
For Vegan Tuna Salad: Mash chickpeas with a fork until broken up and coarse, but not smooth. Add remaining ingredients, mix, and season to taste.
To Make Burrito: Spread the mixture on a nori sheet. Add any vegetables of your choosing. Roll up the Nori sheet like a loaded burrito.