Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potato
Inspired by: Dana from Minimalist Baker
Yield 4-6 Servings
Sweet Potato Prep
4 medium sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1 15-ounce (425 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
optional: Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
Garlic Herb Sauce
1/8 cup tahini
¼ cup chickpeas
juice of 1/2 lemon
3/4 – 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh)
1 cloves garlic, minced
Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
optional: Sea salt to taste
1/4 cup (45 g) cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup (15 g) chopped parsley, minced
2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Peel sweet potatoes and cut in half. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Drizzle olive oil and small pinches of sea salt over halved sweet potatoes. Turning potatoes on baking sheet to coat both side.
4. Place flat side of sweet potato down on baking sheet and place in oven. Checking on potatoes and turning every 15 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked in about 45 minutes.
5. While your potatoes are cooking, Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a small nonstick backing pan and place in the over. These will roast for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
6. While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your garlic herb sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor.
7. Also prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
8. Once sweet potatoes are fork tender remove from oven.
9. For serving, flip potatoes flat side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.