This Warm Kale Salad with Apples, Goji Berries and Pancetta is wonderful all year long, but especially this time of year in the colder months. It is packed with flavor, and is perfect on any holiday dinner menu.
Kale with Apples, Currants, and Warm Pancetta Vinaigrette
- 4 ounces 110 grams pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 bag of kale — I usually buy the bag of kale already pre washed and cut! But if you are buying the whole Kale bunch remove the stem and cut into salad size.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small shallot finely minced (1/4 cup or 40 grams)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Red Delicious apple unpeeled and diced
- 1/4 cup 35 grams goji berries
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 a small lemon
- Shaved Parmesan for finishing
Start by softening your kale by drizzling a little olive oil, a little bit of lemon and kosher or flake salt. Massage the kale so that it breaks down just a little, but not too much as this will be a warm salad.
Add the pancetta to a large sauté pan set over medium-low heat. Cook until brown and most of the fat has rendered, about 10 minutes. While the pancetta cooks, wash the kale, remove the tough inner ribs, and cut into 1-inch ribbons.
Once the pancetta is brown, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the shallots and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until the shallots are golden around the edges and cooked through.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, mustard, and red wine vinegar.
Pour the warm vinaigrette over the kale. Add the apples, currants, and lemon juice. Toss to combine. Use a vegetable peeler to shave large, thin wisps of Parmesan over the salad to finish.
Serve immediately and enjoy!