Here at Women of Today, we like a good party. That’s why we wanted to let you know about two easy dishes perfect for entertaining – especially if you are hosting a large event without a large budget! It is totally possible to throw together an impressive spread without breaking the bank! We love to combine cost-effective serving pieces (like skewers and tumbler glasses) with recipes that are fast to prepare. The result is a beautiful presentation!
Our Tortellini and Watermelon Skewers are quick, simple and cost-effective recipes that require very little manpower. And trust us, they’re goooood. These were devoured at our Women of Today event in Round Top, Texas!
We found our tortellini at Trader Joe’s, assembled them on a skewer, and added some organic pesto for dipping. You can also check out our homemade pesto recipe in our Zucchini Noodle Pasta recipe if you have the time!
Quick ProTips: When shopping for your tortellini, you’ll want to go for the dry version on the shelves because the one from the refrigerated section tends to wilt easier. For your feta (used in the Watermelon Skewers), buy the kind that is in water or brine for best results. We used the Trader Joe’s brand.
Check out our supplies resource list below for best presentation results!
If you’re looking for a full display like we did at our Women of Today x Vintage Round Top event, we suggest pairing the below easy recipes with our Pomegranate Arugula Salad and this Hummus Medley featuring our favorite Beet Hummus.
- 2 packets dry tortellini
- organic pesto, for dipping
- handful bamboo skewers
- Boil water and cook the tortellini.
- Let cool.
- Once cooled, layer the tortellini on skewer. We used approximately 4 on each skewer.
- Serve with pesto on the side or the bottom of individual glass holders like we did.
- 1 ripe watermelon
- 2 blocks feta cheese
- handful knotted bamboo sticks
- 2 bunches organic basil
- Cut up watermelon into cube sizes.
- Cut up feta into cubes sizes.
- Starting with the basil, layer basil, feta, then watermelon onto your skewer.
- You're done!
Supplies Resource List
- Watermelon Skewers: Try using these.
- Watermelon Tray: Go for something simple and small like this. Even smaller should work, too.
- Tortellini Tumbler Glasses can be found here.
- Tortellini Skewers: We used these.
Women of Today