Looking for a healthier and delicious vegetarian sandwich option? This one is for you!
This Smashed Chickpea Sandwich recipe is packed with flavor and is a great vegetarian lunch option! In true Women of Today style, we made this better for you by using organic canned chickpeas and Greek yogurt instead of mayo! The dish is so packed with flavor we promise you won’t even notice the lack of traditional mayo.
WOT we love about this recipe: The chickpeas absorb the flavors you add, so you can get creative with your choices. Whether you prefer a tangy kick of lemon or the savory aroma of fresh thyme, customize it to your liking.
For an extra kick of flavor, we added a little crushed red pepper flakes and pickled pepperoncini. This is totally optional.
Tip: The smaller size of organic chickpeas works perfectly in this recipe.
Smashed Chickpea Sandwich
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp pickled pepperoncini or jalapeños (optional)
- 4 slices whole grain toasted bread
- 2 green onions sliced to fit toast
- tomato slices
- Add chickpeas in a medium bowl and use a potato masher or the back of a ladle to smash about half of them. Having some whole adds more texture.
- Add celery, parsley, Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise), mustard, and a splash of lemon juice, and combine—season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the optional crushed red pepper flakes and desired amount of pickled peppers to taste, and mix to combine.
- To serve, add a generous spoonful of the chickpea salad to a slice of toasted bread, top with sliced tomatoes, green onions, and arugula. Top with another piece of bread.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita