Looking for an easy weeknight meal or something delicious to serve for the Super Bowl? We got you covered!
This week we took to the Test Kitchen to bring you these Asian Lettuce Wraps. They come together in just 30 minutes and yield 20 wraps, making them the perfect dish to serve for game day! This recipe is packed with flavor, high in protein, and best of all, keto-friendly!
You can serve these on a platter or family style, and everyone can fill and top each lettuce wrap at the table.
TIP: Depending on how saucy you like the mixture, you can reserve half of the sauce for serving at the table for those who want to add more to their wraps.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast or turkey
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz baby bella or white mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 10-12 oz bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 small bunch green onions thinly sliced, white/light green and dark green parts divided
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, (8-ounce cans) rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 2 heads butter lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- Green slices of the green onion
- Hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Thin slices of peeled carrot (optional)
- In a mixing cup, combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Stir well and set aside.
- In a skillet with a lid, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and ground chicken or turkey. Cook until meat is lightly browned.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for one minute.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, stir to combine, and cover skillet and cook for a couple of minutes. The mushrooms will release their water. Stir well to combine.
- Add the coleslaw mix, stir, and cover. Cook for two minutes or until the coleslaw mix is slightly soft
- Add the white and light green portions of the sliced green onions. Add the chopped water chestnuts and stir.
- Add about half of the sauce mixture that was set aside. Stir to combine add more sauce depending on your preference. Any leftover sauce can be added to the lettuce wraps at the table.
- To serve, fill each leaf of the butter lettuce with the chicken or turkey mixture. Top with any extra sauce, thinly peeled carrot, and the green parts of the green onions and hot pepper flakes if desired.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita