Butternut soup often has apples in the recipe. I tried it with pears and it was a hit! This flavorful soup also has great color. I like adding a little cooked pear to top each bowl.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
- 1 Butternut Squash or a large package of cut butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 pears peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 2 quarts of chicken or vegetable stock 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, combine cut squash, sliced onions, and diced pears. Add salt and drizzle olive oil to lightly coat and toss mixture. Bake in oven until onions begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Toss vegetables and continue cooking until squash is fork tender, about another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Take half the vegetable mixture and place it in the blender, add one quart of stock. Blend until well combined. Pour soup into a large pot. Repeat with the balance of the vegetables and remaining stock and pour into the pot. Add the cinnamon stick and simmer soup for 30 min.
- Garnish option - add a thinly sliced cooked pear to top of each bowl.
Yields: 3 quarts
Photos by: Lorianne DeVita