Hearty, healthy, and comforting all in one pot!
If you know the Women of Today team, then you know we are huge soup fans, especially when it’s a better-for-you recipe! So when we saw this Chicken Enchilada Soup from The Defined Dish, we knew we had to try it. Not only is it a healthier version of a traditional enchilada soup, but it comes together easily in just 30 minutes.
WOT we love about this recipe: It’s the perfect weeknight meal that the entire family will love, AND it’s dairy and gluten-free!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tbsp chili powder, plus 1 tsp
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 4oz can diced mild green chiles undrained
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (I use Rotisserie)
- 4 radishes thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedge
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spice mixture and set aside.
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat with olive oil. Add the yellow onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Saute, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. While sautéing, season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies are tender, melt the ghee. Sprinkle in the arrowroot flour and stir until well combined. Add the spice mixture and the tomato paste and stir to combine. It's going to look like a little bit messy/clumpy, but just bare with me.
- While stirring, slowly pour in chicken broth, using a spoon to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes and green chiles. Stir to combine and increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and stir in the shredded chicken. Cook, simmering and uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, taste and add more salt, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with the radishes, iceberg lettuce, cilantro, and serve with lime wedges. Serve and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
Recipe by @thedefineddish