We've got a delicious ice cream recipe for you that you will not want to miss. But here is the catch... it has NO added sugar!
This Drunken Dates (Date & Cognac) Ice Cream by Natalie Gazaui is the dessert recipe you didn’t know you needed! Naturally sweetened by dates and totally gluten free, this recipe is one you will want to make a few times!
If you don’t have cognac, you can replace with another spirit like rum or brandy. You can also just omit it completely if you would rather not include alcohol.
If you’d rather not use eggs, you can also leave them out and simply blend all ingredients together, strain and refrigerate before processing in an ice cream maker.
Some serving suggestions are:
- Figs, pomegranate and walnuts
- Unsweetened dark chocolate, coconut chips and pecans
- Orange, kumquats and almonds
Drunken Dates (Date & Cognac) Ice cream
- 11.5 oz Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 tbsp Cognac
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a Vitamix (or blender) blend the milk, cream, cognac and dates for about 1 minute until smooth.
- In a medium pot heat the date mixture with the salt up to 175 F.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour about a 1/3 of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture until it has been fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula, to 170 F.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl sitting on an ice bath.
- Once the base has cooled downc ompletely, add the vanilla and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Looking for more great information on cutting out sugar? Be sure and check out our WOT Sugar Talk series.