We've got a delicious ice cream recipe for you that you will not want to miss. But here is the catch... it has NO added sugar!
This Drunken Dates (Date & Cognac) Ice Cream by Natalie Gazaui is the dessert recipe you didn’t know you needed! Naturally sweetened by dates and gluten-free, this recipe is one you will want to make a few times!
If you don’t have cognac, you can replace it with another spirit like rum or brandy. You can also just omit it completely if you would rather not include alcohol.
If you’d rather not use eggs, you can also leave them out and simply blend all ingredients, strain, and refrigerate before processing in an ice cream maker.
Some serving suggestions are:
- Figs, pomegranates, and walnuts
- Unsweetened dark chocolate, coconut chips, and pecans
- Orange, kumquats, and almonds
Drunken Dates (Date & Cognac) Ice cream
- 11.5 oz. Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 tbsp. cognac
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a Vitamix (or blender) blend the milk, cream, cognac, and dates for about 1 minute until smooth.
- In a medium pot heat the date mixture with the salt up to 175 F.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour about 1/3 of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture until it has been fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula, to 170 F.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl sitting on an ice bath.
- Once the base has cooled down completely, add the vanilla, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Looking for more great information on cutting out sugar? Be sure and check out our WOT Sugar Talk series.