If you are looking for an easy appetizer you can make in advance, this recipe is for you!
Perfect for any gathering or party, this Easy Puff Pastry Appetizer recipe offers convenience and versatility, allowing you to prepare and freeze them in advance. We have provided 4 amazing flavor combinations to try below, but feel free to get creative with these! Like more cheese or a certain flavor combination? Go for it! These little Puff Pastry Appetizers are very easy to customize however you like.
With just a few simple steps, you can create these homemade puff pastry delights. They are quick and easy to assemble, meaning you won’t spend hours laboring over them (even though it will look like you did). They are a flavorful and budget-friendly treat for everyone!
Tip: To ensure the best result, be sure that the puff pastry is thawed for only 10 minutes when you begin the assembly.
Easy Puff Pastry Appetizer
- 1 box 15-17 oz frozen puff pastry sheets (thawed for 10 minutes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 oz Feta cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Italian seasoning
- 2 oz Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 oz cheddar cheese thinly sliced or grated
- 3 oz prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut in half
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a sheet pan with avocado oil.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet and add the thinly sliced onions and a pinch of kosher salt. Sauté until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the cooked onions and set aside.
- In the empty skillet over medium-high heat, add the sliced mushrooms. Cook until all the water is rendered from the mushrooms, and they begin to get golden brown, about 8 minutes. Tip* You can add a pat of butter to increase the golden color and cook for another minute. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- On a cutting board or a lightly floured work surface, slice the puff pastry sheets into approximately 4” x 4” squares and then cut in a diagonal to make triangles. Begin assembly.
- Place one slice of tomato in the middle of the triangle and top with a slice of feta. Add a small sprinkle of Italian seasonings over top of the feta. Bring the two longer corners together, pinch to secure, and place on the prepared sheet pan.
- Add a tablespoon of the sauteed mushrooms in the middle of the triangle and top with grated Swiss. Bring the two longer corners together, pinch to secure, and place on the prepared sheet pan.
- Add a tablespoon of the caramelized onions in the middle of the triangle and top with cheddar. Bring the two longer corners together, pinch to secure, and place on the prepared sheet pan.
- Add a half slice of prosciutto in the middle of the triangle and top with parmesan cheese. Bring the two longer corners together, pinch to secure, and place on the prepared sheet pan.
- To Bake:
- Place the sheet pan in the preheated 400-degree oven and bake for 8 minutes, then turn the pan in the oven to help with even browning. Bake for another 8-10 minutes or until pastry is puffed and nicely browned.
- **Note if making in advance and freezing. Cook until just lightly browned, usually just the first 8 minutes. Remove, cool and place in airtight containers and freeze. To heat, add the frozen pieces to a sheet pan, place in the preheated 400-degree oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Each piece will be 2-3 bites. After the pieces are baked, they can be cut in half if desired.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita