Toasty, roasted sweet potatoes and savory sausage form the base of this favorite holiday side dish.
This delicious Paleo Sweet Potato Stuffing with Sausage by Paleo Running Momma has apples and cranberries and all the flavor of traditional holiday stuffing but is grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and Whole30 compliant too!
This recipe is easy to throw together – which is a lifesaver on Thanksgiving! You peel and chop the sweet potatoes, toss in oil and sea salt, and roast them in a single layer so they get nice and toasty.
While the potatoes roast, you cook the remaining ingredients on the stovetop. This will not take any longer than it takes the potatoes to roast. Once the potatoes are done, you toss everything together in a casserole dish and bake for about 15 minutes getting everything nice and toasty.
This stuffing reheats very well in the oven, too – so it’s no problem to make it ahead of time. Simply cover with aluminum foil, and reheat in a 400° F oven until heated through.
I hope you’re ready for a seriously delicious, healthy, and festive side dish to add to this year’s holiday table! Preheat your oven and grab your ingredients because it’s time to start – let’s go!
Sweet Potato Stuffing with Sausage
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-1” cubes (about 5-1/2-6 cups)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil, for roasting
- Sea salt and black pepper for roasting
- 2 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz. bulk sausage
- 1 large apple or 2 small, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary minced
- 2 tsp. fresh sage minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley minced, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries apple juice sweetened, for Whole30
- 1 egg whisked *optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sweet potato cubes in the avocado oil or olive oil and sprinkle all over with sea salt and pepper.
- Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Stir after 15 minutes for even browning, roasting until toasty on the outside and soft inside.
- While the potatoes are roasting, get your other ingredients chopped and ready.
- Heat a large skillet over med. heat, and add the ghee or oil. Once heated, add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the garlic, sprinkle with sea salt, and continue to cook for another minute until soft.
- Crumble the sausage into the skillet and use a spoon to break up lumps. Stir occasionally as it cooks. Cook for about 5-7 minutes sausage with the onions and garlic until browned.
- Add the chopped apples and cook for a minute until just softened. Add the fresh herbs and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Lower the heat and stir to combine all flavors. Simmer for 2 more minutes, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Once the sweet potatoes are roasted (they should be light brown and crisp on the outside), add them to the sausage mixture along with the dried cranberries, and stir to combine. Stir the whisked egg** (if desired) into the mixture, and toss/mix to incorporate.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400° F. If your skillet is ovenproof, you can bake the stuffing in it. If your skillet is not ovenproof, transfer the entire mixture to a 2-3 qt. baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes if you did not use the egg, 25 minutes if you used the egg, or until toasty and set. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe, images, and text by Paleo Running Momma