These aren't your average stuffed peppers!
Straight out of the WOT Test Kitchen comes our delicious take on a classic with these BBQ Stuffed Peppers! We love stuffed peppers of any kind; they are the perfect all-in-one meal that is hearty and packed with protein. But in this recipe, we really brought out the flavor by adding BBQ sauce and jalapeño for heat and swapped quinoa instead of rice.
If you are looking for a recipe to make for the Super Bowl or your next gathering, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
WOT we love about this recipe: It is easy to prep the filling and peppers and refrigerate them until you are ready to bake them. PLUS, if you have leftovers, you can freeze them.
BBQ Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce, divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup colby/cheddar cheeses, grated and divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise. Trim out the white membrane and any seeds. Brush the bottom of a baking dish with ¼ cup of BBQ sauce. Place peppers cut side up on top of the BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high and add the onions, garlic, and jalapenos (optional). Sautee until the onions are cooked through and soft, about 6 minutes. Add the ground beef and break it apart while browning.
- When beef is browned and cooked through, add the cooked quinoa, the remaining ½ cup of BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, and season with salt and black pepper.
- If the mixture looks a little dry, add more BBQ sauce or a little water.
- Sprinkle some of the grated cheese in the empty pepper shells. Add the beef mixture and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese. Cover the baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the baking dish and test the peppers to ensure they are soft, by poking the side wall of the pepper with a sharp knife. If peppers are still firm, return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite salad for a complete meal.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita