Crunchy and guilt-free chicken, this is a must-try!
Get ready for some comfort food without the guilt! This healthy oven-fried chicken recipe from our friend Carmen of Every Last Bite has all of the delicious flavor and crisp texture of fried chicken — But with a LOT fewer calories and fat.
With tender meat and a crunchy coating, you would be forgiven for thinking this oven-fried chicken makes for an indulgent meal. By removing the skin, coating the chicken in gluten-free cornflakes, and using olive oil cooking spray, you can save up to 150 calories and 10 grams of fat per 1 drumstick (compared to deep-fried chicken). Marinating the chicken in buttermilk helps tenderize the meat and guarantees that each bite of chicken is moist and juicy. Serve with a healthy salad for a delicious protein-packed meal that family and friends will love.
Better-For-You Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs and legs, skin removed, approximately 8 pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups gluten-free corn flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
- In a bowl, stir the low-fat buttermilk, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard. Add in the chicken and store in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 6 hours to allow the meat to tenderize.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place a wire rack on a backing sheet.
- In a Ziploc bag, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Pour the excess low-fat buttermilk marinade into a shallow dish.
- Place the cornflakes and salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag and crush them with your hands or a rolling pin until they are broken into very small pieces.
- Work in batches of 1 to 2 pieces of chicken at a time. First, dredge them in the bag of flour. Next, place the chicken in the buttermilk and use a spoon to coat it to ensure it is evenly covered. Lastly, put the chicken in the bag of cornflakes and shake until evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack and lightly coat it with the cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes until the coating becomes crisp and golden in color. Serve!