Get ready for some comfort food without the guilt! This healthy oven-fried chicken from our friend Carmen of Every Last Bite has all of the delicious flavor and crisp texture of fried chicken — But with a LOT less calories and fat.
With tender meat and a crunchy coating you would be forgiven for thinking this oven fried chicken makes for an indulgent meal. By removing the skin, coating the chicken in gluten free corn flakes and using olive oil cooking spray, you can save up to 150 calories and 10 grams of fat per 1 drumstick (compared to deep fried chicken). Marinating the chicken in buttermilk helps tenderize the meat, and guarantees that each bite of chicken is moist and juicy. Serve with a healthy salad for a delicious protein packed meal that family and friends will love.
Better-For-You Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds bone in chicken thighs and legs, skin removed (approximately 8 pieces)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 cups gluten free corn flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
- In a bowl stir together the buttermilk, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Add in the chicken and store in the fridge for minimum 30 minutes and up to 6 hours to allow the meat to tenderize.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place a wire rack on a backing sheet.
- In a Ziploc bag combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder and chilli powder.
- Pour the excess buttermilk marinade into a shallow dish.
- Place the corn flakes and salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a rolling pin until they are broken into very small pieces.
- Working in batches of 1 to 2 pieces of chicken, start by dredging them in the bag of flour. Next place the chicken in the buttermilk and use a spoon to ensure its evenly covered. Finally put the chicken in the bag of cornflakes and shake until evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack and lightly coat with the cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the coating becomes crisp and golden in color. Serve!