Straight out of the WOT test kitchen, this recipe for Cabbage and Sausage Soup is one you will want to add to your fall menu.
A hearty and healthy mix of vegetables and Italian sausage make this soup a fantastic meal any day of the week. We love that this recipe only calls for a few ingredients, and is a very easy recipe to follow.
Cabbage and Sausage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 5 links of Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp fennel seed crushed (or powdered fennel can be used)
- In a large stock pot, add olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onions. Season with a generous pinch of salt and the fennel seed or powder. Sautee for approximately 5 minutes.
- Carefully, cut the head of cabbage in half. Remove the heart and slice the cabbage into desired size pieces. Add to the stock pot and season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir to combine the cabbage with the vegetables in the pot. Cover and let the vegetable continue to cook down, approximately 25 minutes. Check the heat, you might need to reduce to a low heat depending on your stove.
- Once the vegetables and cabbage begin to soften,add the chicken stock and fennel.
- Increase heat to bring the stock to a slow boil.
- Once stock begin to slow boil, working with one sausage link at a time, squeeze link to have the meat push out of the casing. Drop desired size sausage pieces into the stock. I try to form a small meatball using just one hand as I add the sausage into the stock.
- Once all the sausage is in the pot, reduce heat to simmer and let cook for at least one hour. Taste and add more salt if desired.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on Instagram @womenoftoday.
Images by Lorianne DeVita