Are you ready to watch Chef Jana, Camila, and her Mother-in-Law cook some mouth-watering Lobster Tacos?
We are welcoming Chef Jana Volmuth as she shows us how to make her Lobster Tacos! Jana was on one of our past Chef series, as you will see in the video.
A note for this recipe, you don’t have to use lobster, any white fish will work and be equally as delicious.
We had a few technical wi-fi difficulties when doing the LIVE video, but all the recipe details are below so you can make your own!
Chef Jana's Lobster Tacos
- Pastry Brush
- 4 1-¼ lb. par cooked lobsters or (1lb. of lobster meat or 1 lb. of firm whitefish) Bodies Split in half/cleaned. Claws Broken down.
- tangerine honey for basting on the grill or regular honey
- 8 oz. guajillo chilies or ancho dried chilis (these are larger whole dried chilis)
- 2 tbsp. ghost pepper honey or hot pepper honey
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- kosher salt
- lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 4-5 peaches
- 2 corn on the cob (kernels removed) or 1 cup of frozen corn
- vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. chili lime powder (chili powder)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 jalapenos
- 2 limes
- 1 small head green cabbage sliced on a mandolin or food processor
- 2 medium carrots sliced on a mandolin or food processor
- 2 garden cucumbers sliced on a mandolin or food processor
- 3 limes
- kosher salt
- grilled scallions
- Grilled small corn tortillas
- If using whole lobsters, split lobsters lengthwise in half with a sharp kitchen knife. If you are using lobster meat or a firm white fish, move on to the next step.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of tangerine honey with 2 tablespoons water.
- If grilling whole lobster, grill the lobsters brushing with honey water mixture. Grill only to caramelize and warm. Cooking will be limited, so be careful not to overcook.
- If using lobster meat or firm white fish, drizzle with honey water mixture and use a grill pan or a nonstick grilling sheet on your grill.
- Once lobster or firm white fish is cooked or develops color, remove from heat and set aside.
- Clean dried peppers and discard the stem and most seeds.
- Place dried and cleaned pepper in a small saucepan with broth and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the peppers are softened.
- Place peppers and minimal liquid in a blender, add honey, salt, and lime juice. If necessary, use the remaining broth to come to the desired consistency.
- Split the peaches in half and clean the corn of husk and silk. If using frozen corn, you will skip the grilling the cob step.
- Mix chili lime powder with vegetable oil and brush on peaches and corn until there are good char marks. Put whole jalapenos and halved limes on the grill just until plumped and slightly charred.
- Chop peaches and jalapenos, slice corn off the cob (or add the frozen corn), and toss together. Chop fresh cilantro and add in. Season to taste.
- Process all vegetables shaved thin with a mandolin or food processor. Drain the vegetables on paper towels or clean kitchen cloth as you go. Toss with 2 tbsp. lime juice and salt. Add more lime juice, if you feel it's needed.
- Grill tortillas until puffed and slightly charred. Tortillas will be flat and crispy. Scallions chop and garnish.
- Assemble Tacos in the following order: slaw, lobster, peach salsa, salsa roja, and lastly the grilled scallions.
About Chef Jana Volmuth
Originally from Northern California, New England has been Jana’s home for 19 years. Jana was a local chef for 10 years and currently is the Director of Customer Service for Sid Wainer & Son. Jana holds her Bachelor of Science degree in Culinary Nutrition from Johnson & Wales University.