We know our community loves one-pot recipe ideas, and this dish is sure to please.
This Chicken Burrito Bowl is the perfect weeknight meal because it comes together in about 30 minutes and is both hearty and tasty.
This dish is a great one to get creative with — There are a couple of optional ingredients so feel free to tailor this recipe to your family’s taste… We also never turn down topping this dish with Erica McConaughey’s Chunky Guacamole.
WOT we love about this recipe: It can easily be made vegan; just skip the chicken entirely, or replace it with a plant-based protein of your choice.
A great tip for when you are making this recipe: Gently rub the dried oregano between the tips of your fingers using both hands to bring out the maximum flavor or “wake” the herb. It will make a difference in the taste!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup baby spinach (optional)
- 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked to package directions
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- wedges of lime
- sliced green onion
- In a large skillet, over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil add the sliced onions, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the sliced peppers and minced garlic, salt, and black pepper, and sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Remove from skillet, place in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet then add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the salsa, oregano, cumin, and salt, and stir to combine. Add the black beans, corn, and reserved cooked peppers and onions. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken mixture is simmering, combine the cooked rice and cilantro in a bowl.
- Turn the heat off, add spinach, and stir to combine.
- To serve, add the cilantro rice to the bottom of each bowl and top with the chicken mixture. Garnish with sliced green onions and a wedge of lime.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita