Looking for a fabulous and healthy recipe that is perfect for your Easter menu? Look no further than this delicious Vegan + Gluten-Free Avocado Cream Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes and Arugula from our friend Samah Dada of Dada Eats. On a holiday that is typically full of lots of sugar (although we’ve never turned down a chocolate bunny), we’re all about adding in a healthy balance.
This recipe a hearty staple for the dinner table all year long, it’s also a much healthier alternative to a pasta with a cream sauce …. Although it is definitely creamy! It’s also gluten free and vegan, so a very allergy-friendly dish to make for a dinner party. Plus, you can have tons of fun changing up the pasta variety and shape to whatever you’d like! Check out the simple recipe (honestly, it’s blend and go!) from Dada below ….
Thanks Samah! Oh, and make sure you follow Dada Eats on Instagram!
Let’s talk about the sauce first, because that’s where these avocados come into play. I used them to make an Avocado Cream Sauce, which is luscious and thick to say the least (there’s nothing worse than a watery sauce) but maintains a lot of brightness with the addition of fresh basil, lemon, and a bit of lemon zest. I did a simple seasoning of chili flakes, salt, pepper, and garlic. And to put it together? All you need is your blender.
This is probably one of my favorite pasta recipes I’ve developed, and if you’re familiar with my site, you know I have quite a few on here. But what I love about this dish the most is that the avocado cream sauce is light and refreshing, something you rarely find in cream sauces. It’s also extremely versatile – I like to use it on a tartine, as the base for a flatbread topped with arugula and roasted tomatoes, or even as a dip for crackers or chips. You can serve this pasta warm or chilled. I always garnish with cracked black pepper, maldon salt, and extra chili flakes. Take it a step further and drizzle with chili infused olive oil on top.
Dada Eats' Vegan + Gluten-Free Avocado Cream Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes and Arugula
- 1 box pasta of choice, gluten-free if you prefer but your favorite pasta works here. Dada likes using chickpea or brown rice pasta.
- 1 + 1/2 ripe avocados
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper and more to taste & garnish
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or more if you like it spicy
- 1/4 cup water to thin sauce
- 1/2 tsp maldon salt to garnish
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Prepare water to boil pasta. Once boiling, add pasta of choice. You can use chickpea pasta, brown rice pasta, pasta wheels, penne or shells!
- Slice grape tomatoes in half, and generously drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Place in oven on 400 degrees and cook for about 10-15 minutes. We don't want to fully roast them because that will dry them out and get rid of the juices!
- While the pasta is cooking and the tomatoes are roasting in the oven, prepare sauce. All you need is your blender! Toss in the avocado, lemon juice, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Blend and adjust seasoning to taste. Add more lemon for brightness, more chili for spice. Salt and pepper to taste. If sauce is too thick, add an extra splash or two of water.
- Drain pasta and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Add cream sauce, roasted tomatoes, and arugula to pasta and mix until thoroughly combined. Garnish with maldon salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Serve immediately or chilled.
Women of Today