They say all good things come to those who wait...
With that said, this week’s WOT Test Kitchen recipe is long overdue, and we hope you agree, it was worth the wait. Meet our Easy Turkey Chili — A recipe we have tested, re-tested, and then re-tested again to make sure it was just right.
WOT we love about this recipe: It’s super simple to make and by using ground turkey, it’s better for you too! Using the diced tomatoes adds vibrant color and a freshness that is sure to please. We love making a pot of this and setting up a garnish bar so everyone can get creative with their toppings, and no two bowls look alike.
Easy Turkey Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound ground turkey (93% lean, 7% fat)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- avocado slices
- jalapeno slices
- cilantro, chopped
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- green onion
- lime wedges
- In a 6-quart pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, chopped jalapeno peppers, diced red onion, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and cayenne (optional). Simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the onions and peppers soften.
- Add the ground turkey and cook through and broken apart into small pieces.
- Add the drained black beans, diced tomatoes, and salt. Stir and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with any of your favorite garnishes and serve.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita