It's time for our third week of $20 Tuesday at Women of Today! Each week, the WOT Test Kitchen will be featuring a delicious recipe that can feed a family of four, all for around $20!
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight recipe that is also budget-friendly, then look no further. This Easy Rigatoni with Chicken and Mushrooms is in true Italian fashion: minimal ingredients, with lots of flavors.
This recipe will easily feed four people, and you most likely have some leftovers.
WOT we love about this recipe: It comes together in about 30 minutes and the fire-roasted tomatoes add that little extra touch of fantastic flavor. If you have any leftovers, this dish is even better the next day!
If you’re looking for more great $20 Tuesday recipes, click here!
Easy Rigatoni with Chicken and Mushrooms
- 8-12 oz mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, split to equal 4 filets
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 28 oz canfire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 lb rigatoni, cooked al dente
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- red pepper flakes
- asiago cheese, grated
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the cleaned and sliced mushrooms. Cook until all the water has been releasing and the mushrooms slightly brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Season the chicken filets on both sides with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the hot pan and sauté chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through. Remove chicken filets from the pan.
- To the hot pan, add the diced onion and minced cloves of garlic. If the pan gets a little dry, add a splash of the white wine to the pan. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the diced fire roasted tomatoes to the pan and stir well to combine. Let the tomatoes simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are simmering, cut the chicken filets into bitesize pieces. Add the chicken, sautéed mushrooms and white wine to the pan and let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over the rigatoni and top with chopped parsley, red pepper flakes if you like a little heat and dusting of asiago cheese.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
Note: $20 is an approximate cost for this dish. The actual price of all ingredients may vary.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita