It's National S'mores Day and we thought that meant we needed to find an amazing better-for-you version of this summer classic.
That’s why we were delighted when Erin Lives Whole agreed to share with us her recipe for these scrumptious Healthy S’mores Bars!
S’mores are the most delicious treats, made from the simplest ingredients! Get a fire going, roast the marshmallows, and assemble with graham crackers and a square of chocolate. The gooier the marshmallows, the better! These healthy s’mores bars will undoubtedly become a staple in your dessert lineup. You’re going to absolutely love these things. Let’s dive into the how-to!
How to make healthy s’mores bars
Making s’mores snack bars is pretty simple. It will require two baking portions, but neither interval takes too much time. Expect this treat to take about an hour from start to finish. Trust us, the hour wait will be well worth it!
Start making your healthy s’mores bars by preheating the oven to 375F and lining a bread pan with parchment paper. I used an 8×4 pan.
Form this mixture into the bottom of the bread pan. This will be the crust.
Bake it for 15-17 minutes, or until it reaches a golden brown color. When it’s done, remove it from the oven and allow it to fully cool.
Turn the oven down to 350F.
After the crust has cooled for at least 15 minutes, add the chocolte chips in an even layer. Then add the marshmallows and the graham crackers on top.
Sprinkle the top layer with a few more chocolate chips.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden brown. Then, take everything out of the oven.
Let everything cool for 30 minutes before placing in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Answering your burning s’mores questions
Do I have to use an 8×4 pan?
You do not! You can use any size pan you have. The larger the pan the thinner the bars will be.
Do I have to bake this recipe a second time?
If you want the ooey gooey consistency of the marshmallow bars you’re used to making, you’ll want to give this dish a second round in the oven. The way that the ingredients melt together is too good!
Can I use white chocolate?
Yes, yes, and yes! White chocolate will totally work to give this recipe a twist. I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure it tastes absolutely delicious.
How to store healthy s’mores bars
S’mores bars can be stored on the counter or in the fridge. Keep them in an airtight container to ensure that they stay nice and fresh!
Healthy s’mores bars substitution options
Missing an ingredient? Don’t worry! Many of the items in this dish can be substituted with similar swaps. Here’s a quick list of what you can use.
- Coconut oil: Out of coconut oil? That’s okay! Any similar high fat baking oil will work in this recipe (like vegetable or canola).
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup can be replaced with honey. If using this swap, start with a smaller amount and add more to taste.
- Chocolate chips: I think the chocolate is the best part of this recipe, but you can use something else if you’d prefer! White chocolate s’mores do sounds really good…
- Graham crackers: If you don’t want to use graham crackers, you can use vanilla wafers or Oreos!
Healthy S’mores Bars
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus handful for very top layer)
- 1.5 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 graham crackers, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375F and line bread pan (I used 8×4) with parchment paper.
- Form into bottom of bread pan. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Turn oven down to 350F.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown. Take out of oven.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before placing in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Store on counter or in fridge.
Enjoy! For more great recipes, be sure and follow Erin Lives Whole on Instagram!
Recipe and photos by Erin Lives Whole