If you’re in love with flavorful Mediterranean food, you have to try this incredibly healthy, vegan recipe we’ve got for you!
Mediterranean Sweet Potatoes is made with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and tahini, and is full of amazing flavors! This vegan side dish is made Mediterranean style (baked sweet potatoes, topping, and sauce), and is always a big hit with family and friends. We serve it with dinner — especially when barbecuing in the warmer months.
Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potato
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 can 15 oz. or 425 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each cumin coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
- optional: pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
- 1/8 cup tahini
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 - 1 tsp dried dill or sub 2-3 tsp fresh
- 1 clove garlic minced
- water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- optional: sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup 45 g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup 15 g chopped parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp 30 ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them in half. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil and small pinches of sea salt over halved sweet potatoes. Turn the potatoes over on a baking sheet to coat both sides.
- Place the flat side of the sweet potato down on the baking sheet and place in the oven. Checking on potatoes and turning them every 15 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked in about 45 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a small nonstick baking pan, and place in the oven. These will roast for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your garlic herb sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin it so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for a more savory flavor, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor.
- Also, prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender, remove from oven.
- For serving, flip potatoes flat side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce, and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.