These are not your traditional tacos! Our friend Carmen over at Every Last Bite has made another incredible recipe for us that you are going to love … These Moroccan Sweet Potato & Chickpea Tacos will leave you wanting to partake in taco Tuesday every week. Caramelized sweet potatoes, crunchy chickpeas and a rich blend of Moroccan spices make these vegetarian and gluten free tacos a stand out from the norm.
Say adios to guacamole and refried beans because we are spicing things up with these delicious Moroccan inspired tacos. We packed each tortilla with caramelized cubes of sweet potato, crunchy spiced chickpeas, spinach, fresh tomatoes and a zesty lime yogurt. To capture the rich flavors of Morocco, the sweet potato and chickpeas are tossed in a blend of cinnamon, immune boosting ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Although vegetarian, the chunks of sweet potatoes and protein rich chickpeas are substantial enough to satisfy even the hungriest of carnivores.
Moroccan Sweet Potato & Chickpea Tacos
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 gluten free tortillas of your choice
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a bowl whisk together the turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, garlic powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, salt and olive oil
- Place the cubed sweet potato and chickpeas on a baking sheet. Pour the oil and spice mixture over them and toss until well coated. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, flipping the sweet potatoes half way through to ensure they are evenly cooked. Remove from the oven once the chickpeas are crisp and the sweet potatoes are lightly browned and caramelized.
- In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, juice from half a lime and ½ teaspoon paprika. Set aside
- To assemble the tacos place a small handful of spinach in each tortilla, top with large spoonful’s of the sweet potatoes and chickpeas followed by the chopped tomatoes, lime yogurt and cilantro.
Be sure and follow Carmen on Instagram for even more amazing recipe! Enjoy!
Women of Today