This recipe is proof that a perfect pasta doesn't have to be complicated
Today we are sharing with you @thedishonhealthy‘s recipe for this One Pan Gnocchi Alla Vodka. Bursting with flavor this quick dinner recipe is creamy, delicious and can easily be made vegan (check out the recipe for details).
The trick to making it so creamy? Using 1/4 cup of pasta water! It’s actually a great addition to any sauce because the salty, starchy water makes an incredible thickening agent. The other two standout ingredients in this recipe are the shallots and tomato paste — Both add great flavor to the dish.
One Pan Gnocchi Alla Vodka
- 1 lb gnocchi or penne, follow package instructions
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee or vegan butter
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vodka (or water)
- 1/2 cup good-quality tomato paste
- 1 cup cup cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream OR plant-based culinary oat creamer works!
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- sprinkle of grated parmesan or vegan parmesan
- handful of fresh basil
- chili oil
- crispy pancetta or prosciutto leave off if vegan. You can either add it as a topping OR sauté with the onions at the beginning.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Throw in onions & shallots and mix for 2-3 mins until soft. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes and stir for 3 mins. When the garlic starts to brown, add vodka and scrape the bits off the pan (deglaze) and put heat to the lowest setting.
- Add your tomatoes, then cooked pasta (al dente preferably) and bring heat back to medium. Throw in cream and 1/4 cup of starchy pasta water (where the pasta was cooked) — It's the best and oldest trick to the creamiest sauce!
- Enjoy every bite!!
- Cook your 1lb of gnocchi or penne and follow package instructions. Once cooked, set aside the 1/4 cup of the water you used to cook the pasta in.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
Recipe and image by @thedishonhealthy