Need a fresh idea for a weeknight meal everyone will love? Look no further!
Fresh, healthy, and easy to make, this Orange Glazed Cod is going to become one of your go-to recipes! This recipe tastes like you took hours to prepare it, and is sure to be your new family favorite. And, did we mention is healthy and packed with lean protein?
WOT we love about this recipe: If you aren’t a fan of fish, you can always substitute it for chicken breasts and still get the same fabulous flavor from the sauce.
If you want to make this dish gluten free, swap out the farro for a gluten free grain like quinoa.
Orange Glazed Cod
- 4 cod filets
- 1 cup Italian pearled farro
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 navel or cara cara oranges (1 juiced and 1 fruit removed and chopped)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 16 oz broccoli florets (defrosted or fresh)
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- red pepper flakes to taste
- sea salt and black pepper
- lemon wedges
- Add the farro to a pot of boiling water or chicken stock. Cook uncovered for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain, and place in a small mixing bowl. Squeeze a half of lemon over the cooked farro. Drizzle a little olive oil, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine, cover, and set aside.
- While the farro is cooking, rinse and pat cod filet dry with paper towel. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper on both sides, set aside.
- Juice one orange and with the other orange, remove the fruit from the peel and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and the fresh or defrosted broccoli florets. Season with sea salt and pepper and cook for 5-8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan with the broccoli and season with desired amount of red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add the juice of a half of lemon over the broccoli and toss to combine. Turn the heat off and add the cooked farro that was set aside along with the chopped fruit of one orange. Remove the mixture from the skillet and set aside. Wipe out skillet and return to cooktop.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned cod filets to the skillet and let cook untouched 4-5 minutes on one side. Carefully flip the filets.
- To the skillet add the juice from one orange, the mirin and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook, and occasionally spoon the sauce over the filets until fully cooked.
- To assemble, in each serving bowl, add about a quarter of the cooked farro, orange and broccoli mixture and top with one piece of cod. Spoon any remaining pan sauce over each piece of cod.
- If desired, garnish with a wedge of lemon for each serving.
- Serve immediately.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita