Creamy and comforting, this Quinoa Risotto is a healthy variation of the classic Italian dish!
Ready in under 30 minutes, this dish by Carmen at Every Last Bite is the perfect weeknight dish to enjoy during the cooler fall and winter months.
Quinoa is a naturally gluten-free grain that has more protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals per serving than Arborio rice (the grain traditionally used in risotto). This lighter variation has the same creamy consistency but is a lot quicker and easier to make (no standing over the stove continuously stirring for 40 minutes!).
Topped with mushrooms which are a good source of iron and vitamin D, this a great warming dish to enjoy during the winter months.
Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese (optional)
- Place the vegetable stock in a saucepan on medium-low heat and leave to simmer.
- In a separate pan sauté the mushrooms and 1 clove of garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on low heat, season with the chopped thyme and salt. Sauté until the mushrooms are golden in color (6-8 minutes). Once cooked, set aside.
- Next, in a pot over medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil, sauté the chopped onion and 1 crushed garlic clove in until the onions turn translucent in color.
- Add in the quinoa and cook for 4-5 minutes until it begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the wine to deglaze in the pan and stir.
- Once the wine has begun to evaporate, add a ladle of the warm vegetable broth. Continue the process of adding in a ladle of stock every few minutes when it looks like most of the liquid has evaporated.
- After approximately 8-10 minutes, taste the quinoa to check if it’s tender. If not, add another ladle of stock.
- Once the quinoa has reached your desired texture, divide the quinoa between bowls, top with the mushrooms, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Want more from Carmen? Be sure to follow her on Instagram and check out her new book: Every Last Bite: A Deliciously Clean Approach to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet
All photos by Every Last Bite