Cold weather has us craving some cozy comfort food!
We are heading into the busiest season of the year, which means less time for meal prepping and cooking! So today we are bringing you this easy, classic, Slow Cooker Lasagna. So whether you are entertaining or not this season, this recipe is perfect because you can set it, and forget it!
WOT we love about this recipe: It’s easy to transport if you’re bringing a dish to an event. PLUS, it’s excellent if your oven is being used for other dishes.
PLEASE NOTE: The sauce portion of this recipe will give you extra sauce for serving. You will also use all the lasagna noodles. This recipe makes a very impressive high lasagna.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 32 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese, divided
- 1 16 oz package lasagna noodles
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook with the onions and garlic until the beef is browned. Breaking the beef into small pieces using two forks.
- Once beef is cooked through and browned, add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt. Cook to a slow boil for 15 minutes.
- While the beef sauce is cooking, in a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, beaten eggs, parsley, and 1 cup of the shredded Italian cheese blend. Sir to combine.
- **NOTE – You will have extra sauce left after assembly and that can be used when serving.
- Once sauce is finished cooking, begin the assembly. You will need to use your judgment depending on the size of your slow cooker. Spoon a thin layer of the sauce mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add one layer of uncooked lasagna noodles, breaking noodles to fit into cooker as needed. Top noodles with a portion of cheese mixture and then another layer of sauce. Repeat the layering noodles, cheese and sauce until you finish with sauce at on the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until a skewer can be interested easily through the layers of lasagna.
- Once the lasagna is cooked through, top with the remaining 1 cup of the shredded Italian cheese blend. Cover and for about 15 minutes or until top layer of cheese is melted.
- Turn off the slow cooker and let the lasagna sit for 15-20 minutes. You can slice and serve and top with remaining sauce if desired.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita