Looking for a delicious vegetarian stuffing to serve for Thanksgiving? This one is for you!
Not too long ago, we asked the community to share their favorite holiday recipes, the ones that are tried and true. WOT reader Rachelle Cervera shared her family’s recipe for this Spinach Stuffing, which we can now confirm, is absolutely delicious! The combination of mushrooms and spinach makes this dish colorful and flavorful.
WOT we love about this recipe: It is a perfect vegetarian substitute for traditional stuffing.
This recipe can easily be doubled if you have more than six people at your dinner, or if you have a crowd that really loves their stuffing.
- 1 6 oz pkg stuffing mix
- 1½ cups hot water
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup shredded Italian blended cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese for the top, optional
- Preheat Oven to 350F.
- Mix stuffing mix and hot water in large bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, add chopped onions and sauté until translucent, add the minced garlic and chopped mushrooms. Sauté until tender about 8 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the prepared stuffing along with the spinach and cheese; mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until as crispy as you like. Add the optional 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese to the top if you like just before baking.
Recipe by Rachelle Cervera and photos by Lorianne DeVita