Abundant all summer long, we love summer squash in all its glory.
Today we welcome Farmhouse Delivery to WOT to share with us two great recipes for Summer Squash 2 Ways — Zucchini Basil Fritters with Yogurt Olive Oil Sauce and a Shaved Squash Salad.
Healthy, versatile, and easy to cook, the biggest challenge when it comes to squash in the summertime is staying creative with your recipes.
Here are two recipes to get you started this season!
Zucchini Basil Fritters with Yogurt Olive Oil Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium-large zucchini, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as basil, parsley, chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- Place grated zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with 2 tbsp salt and leave to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the yogurt olive oil sauce. Stir yogurt and olive oil together (we like to keep the sauce streaky). Store in the refrigerator while you prepare the fritters.
- Combine eggs, bread crumbs, and chopped herbs in a medium bowl and stir with a fork until well combined. Set aside.
- Rinse grated zucchini well under cool water, then squeeze out as much moisture as you possibly can with your hands. Add the zucchini to the bowl with the eggs and bread crumb mixture. Stir, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Place 1/4 c scoops of zucchini fritter mixture in the skillet and press gently with a spatula to flatten. When the underside is golden brown, flip to cook the other side, then transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt while still hot.
- Continue cooking in batches until all the fritters are done. Serve warm or at room temperature with Yogurt Olive Oil Sauce.
Shaved Summer Squash Salad with Basil and Feta
- 1 lb mixed summer squash
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 small red onion
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Shave the squash lengthwise into long, wide ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Alternatively, slice the squash as thinly as possible. Thinly slice the onion. Combine squash, onions, and roughly chopped or torn basil in a bowl. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk lemon juice and yogurt in a small bowl. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly, until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss squash with the dressing, toasted almonds and crumbled feta. Serve immediately.
Recipes and images by Farmhouse Delivery