Apple Nachos? Hear us out...
This was a new one for WOT Test Kitchen. We heard a lot of comments about Apple Nachos and were intrigued to give this one a try. Let’s just say, we are very glad we did!
This super simple recipe is easy to improvise based on what YOU have in your pantry. So get creative, grab what you have, and start laying your next favorite snack!
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. fine chopped pecans or any other nut of your choice
- 1 tbsp. craisins, roughly chopped
- Prepare your two quick sauces. First up, peanut butter sauce. In a small bowl, add your peanut butter and one tablespoon of warm water. Slowly stir to incorporate a smooth consistency. Continue to add one tablespoon of water at a time until you get a smooth, yet spreadable sauce. Using a small plastic bag, scoop your peanut butter sauce inside and make a small corner cut on the edge of the bag. Set aside.
- Slice apples in half, core, and slice into thin wedges. Arrange on a platter and evenly sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples to prevent them from browning and adding another layer of flavor.
- For the chocolate sauce, set a heatproof mixing bowl over a saucepan that is half filled with warm water and on medium heat. Essentially, this is a double boiler. Add the chocolate chips to the mixing bowl and then stir until the chocolate is melted and warm. Remove from heat. Using a small plastic bag, scoop your warm chocolate sauce inside and make a small corner cut on the edge of the bag. Set aside.
- Begin to build your nachos. Pipe your peanut butter sauce over the apples, then pipe your chocolate sauce on top. Add the shredded coconut, finely chopped nuts, craisins, or any other ingredients you like.
- Serve immediately and watch the apple nachos disappear!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita