Beets do not have to be boring. Try this for your next salad!
Who else is a huge fan of beets? In Camila’s house everyone LOVE beets. They are one of her favorite foods; even her kids love eating them! That’s why this Beet Salad with Oranges + Arugula has become a go-to salad recipe of Camila’s that she makes all the time.
Whether you are serving it to your family or at a dinner party, you really can’t go wrong with this salad. It’s light and refreshing, and the flavors are amazing! The beets combined with the citrus of the oranges, the flavor of the onion, and the texture of the walnuts is a perfect combination of ingredients and textures.
This salad also looks beautiful because of its rich colors, so it has a great presentation factor! It’s an excellent salad to make all year long!
Beet Salad with Oranges + Arugula
- 1 bunch of beets, (gold and red if available) about 4-5 medium-sized, scrubbed clean
- 2 large navel oranges, peels cut off with a small paring knife and sliced
- 1 bunch of arugula leaves, cleaned and any thick stems removed
- several slices of red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts *optional can substitute with nuts of your choice, or sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp. white whine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. dried mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wrap the unpeeled beets in aluminum foil and bake for an hour or until done. They should be fork tender.
- When done roasting, allow the beets to come to room temperature and remove their peels. Slice or quarter them.
- While the beets are roasting, make the dressing by putting all of the dressing ingredients into a jar.
- Seal and shake until the dressing is well blended.
- In a serving bowl, place the arugula, then the orange segments and beets, and top with the red onion.
- Add the desired amount of dressing over the salad, gently toss to coat, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- This allows the flavors of the vinaigrette to meld into the beets, giving them extra flavor.