We are all about a better-for-you recipe here at Women of Today! These dairy-free and gluten-free cupcakes are made with black beans and coconut cream — And are delicious and healthier way to enjoy a classic dessert.
Better For You Black Bean Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy coconut cream – thick cream part only, not the watery liquid
- 1 can (15oz) unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder, sifted so there are no lumps
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat coconut cream on stove top or in microwave until hot. Pour over chocolate chips in a heat-proof glass bowl. Let mixture sit for 2-3 minutes. Then, using a fork or a whisk, start to stir quickly, bringing the chocolate and cream together until emulsified.
- You can use the ganache just like this as a glaze or, if you want a whipped frosting transfer mixture to the stainless steel bowl of a stand mixer and put in the fridge to cool for 20 minutes, whisking periodically. Remove bowl from fridge, and with whisk attachment whip the ganache on high until it thickens, lightens in color and is a spreadable consistency. About 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a small food processor (or blender), process black beans and coffee until smooth. Transfer mixture into a large bowl. Add coconut oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat together by hand, with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to black bean mixture and blend by hand until combined.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup or #16 disher, divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until tops are dry and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and then frost cupcakes with an offset spatula.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on Instagram!