These tacos went viral on social media and we had to take a stab at creating our own!
This week we took the Test Kitchen to bring you this trending Smashed Taco recipe, but in true Women of Today fashion, we made it better for you by using ground turkey. With a zesty ground turkey filling, crispy tortilla shells, and an explosion of toppings, these Smashed Tacos are a winning combination that will leave you craving more. We promise your Taco Tuesday will never be the same.
WOT we love about this recipe: Not only is it delicious, but you can whip up six tacos in no time, making it a perfect meal for busy weeknights or spontaneous gatherings.
Better For You Smashed Tacos
- 6 small soft tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 lb ground turkey (85% lean)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Avocado oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapeños
- Sliced avocados
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
- Preheat the baking sheet in a 325-degree Fahrenheit oven.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne (optional).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brush avocado oil on the bottom of the skillet.
- Roll enough of the turkey mixture to make a ball the size of a lime. Making one at a time, place the turkey ball in the middle of the heated and oiled skillet and top with one soft tortilla shell.
- Press the tortilla down using a spatula, essentially flattening the turkey into a very thin patty. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the tortilla over and slide it onto the preheated baking sheet, top it with the desired amount of shredded cheese, and place it in the 325-degree Fahrenheit oven while you finish cooking the batch.
- Repeat until you use all the meat mixture.
- Remove the baking sheet and top your tacos with your favorite taco toppings.
Want to elevate this dish even more? Try serving with our Easiest Salsa Ever!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita