We all have our all-time favorite holiday dishes and today, Camila is sharing with you all one of hers!
I have enjoyed this traditional Brazilian Christmas dish since I was a child growing up in Brazil, and it is a dish that I have continued to share with my family. This is a great dish and can go with just about anything you are planning on serving around your holiday table this year. The ingredients are easy to find, inexpensive, and this recipe makes enough for your dinner and maybe even some leftovers for the next day. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Camila’s Brazilian Rice
- 5 cups rice (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup golden raisins (chopped)
- 1 cup dried plums (or to taste) (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped green apple (diced)
- olive oil and salt (as needed)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes(drained)
- 1 cup ham (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas (room temperature)
- 1 15oz can hearts of palm (drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup green olives (sliced)
- 2 cups mozzarella (shredded)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a stockpot. Add carrots, raisins, plums and apple. Cook over medium heat until mixture is golden brown and begins to soften.
- In a large sauté pan, place a little oil, and the onion and 3 generous pinches of salt. Cook until translucent. Add tomatoes, ham, peas, hearts of palm, and olives. Sauté for a few minutes and season to taste.
- In a baking dish, place a layer of rice, then half the fruit mixture, then half of the ham mixture on top. Continue layering, finishing with the rice, and topping with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts and serve.
This recipe is sponsored by H-E-B.