We all have our all-time favorite holiday dishes and today, Camila is sharing with you all one of hers!
Camila has enjoyed this traditional Brazilian Christmas dish since she was a child growing up in Brazil, and it is a dish that she continues to share with her family. This is a great dish and can go with just about anything you are planning on serving around your holiday table year. The ingredients are easy to find, are inexpensive, and this recipe makes enough for your dinner and maybe even some leftovers for the next day. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Camila’s Brazilian Rice
- 5 cups rice (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup golden raisins (chopped)
- 1 cup dried plums (or to taste) (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped green apple (diced)
- olive oil and salt (as needed)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes(drained)
- 1 cup ham (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas (room temperature)
- 1 15 oz. can hearts of palm (drained and chopped)
- 1/2 cup green olives (sliced)
- 2 cups mozzarella (shredded)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a stockpot, and add carrots, raisins, plums, and apples. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is golden brown and begins to soften.
- In a large sauté pan, place a little oil, and add the onion, along with 3 generous pinches of salt. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add in the tomatoes, ham, peas, hearts of palm, and olives, and continue to sauté for a few minutes. Season to taste.
- In a baking dish, place a layer of rice, half of the fruit mixture, and half of the ham mixture on top of the fruit. Continue to layer in the same order, finishing with a last layer of rice on top. Top the dish with shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts and serve.
This recipe is sponsored by H-E-B.