Bobotie is a classic South African casserole that has a wonderful combination of savory spices.
Our version of this recipe comes from chef Kevin Dundon and not only is it fun to say (bow-boo-ty), but it tastes delicious too!
We think you will really enjoy it; it is incredibly flavorful and easy to make. You can serve it with a salad and crusty bread — Or do what we did here in the WOT Test Kitchen and enjoy with some tortilla chips on the side.
You can check out Camila making this recipe in the video below.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.75 lbs ground beef (lean)
- 1 peeled potato, grated
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste (or curry powder)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp tomato chutney (optional)
- 1 peeled apple, grated
- juice of ½ a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry for 2 – 4 minutes until soft.
- Add the ground beef and continue to pan-fry over medium heat until browned.
- Add the grated potato, curry paste, tomatoes chutney, turmeric, raisins, apple, and lemon to the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on medium to low heat. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a casserole or oven-safe dish.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Then, mix the eggs with the milk and add salt and pepper. Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Pour the egg custard on top of the meat and roast for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy while warm.
Enjoy! Making this recipe? Be sure to share it with us over on the WOT Instagram!
This article is sponsored by H-E-B.