Kicking off our International Chef Series this week is Dominique Crenn with a must-make vegan dish.
Today Dominique is showing us step-by-step how to make her Vegan Parmentier — A recipe that she used to make with her family every other Sunday and one that is close to her heart.
It’s a recipe full of fresh vegetables and packed with flavor and nutrients!
For the vegan cheese: Feel free to use whatever brand you like in this recipe. Or, experiment a bit and try a few different kinds!
For the potatoes: When cooking your potatoes, put cold water in the pot with a little bit of salt to ensure the potatoes retain their starch and their natural elasticity.
Chef Dominique Crenn's Vegan Parmentier of Vegetables
- 4 cup Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups winter squash, peeled and cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 1/2 cup beets, peeled and cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 1 cup vegan cheese, grated
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F
- In a large pot over high heat, boil 2 quarts of water. Cook potatoes until tender. Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onion, and carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the vegetable broth, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pass the potatoes through a vegetable mill (or use potato masher until very smooth). Add vegan butter and non-dairy milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep covered and warm.
- Add the cauliflower, squash, and beets to the carrot and onion mixture and continue to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Grease a gratin dish and add the vegetable preparation first. Add the mashed potatoes over it and smooth the top with a fork. Sprinkle with vegan cheese. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot!
- This dish can be served all year long. The vegetables can change but should always be seasonal.
And, in case you missed it: Camila and Dominique went LIVE on Instagram. Check out their talk below.