If you go to a restaurant in Brazil, you are pretty much guaranteed to find Yuca Fries and something with guava on the menu
Today, Camila gives us a taste of (her) home with two recipes inspired by her Brazilian roots: her Guava Smoothie and Yuca Fries.
Guava is packed with vitamins and nutrients (including fiber!) and yuca is also full of vitamins, is very high in fiber and is a gluten free startch!
Check out the video below to learn step-by-step how Camila makes these two easy and healthy recipes.
Tip: If you have an air fryer, it is perfect for making Yuca Fries. If you don’t, not to worry — Just make sure you use a high heat friendly oil like avocado oil.
Camila's Yuca Fries
- 1-2 whole yucas
- oil for frying (avocado or another high heat oil)
- sea salt
- Place a large pot on stove, fill with water up to 3 inches from the top and begin to bring water to a boil.
- Remove ends of yucca. Cut yuca into 4” long pieces and remove the skin. (See video for tip on removing skin)
- Place whole 4” peeled pieces into boiling water and cook until tender, approximately 25–30 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked yucca from water, let cool slightly and slice lengthwise to give you your “fries”. Sometimes you will find thicker stringy root that runs in the middle of the yuca, remove it when slicing, discard.
- Bring your oil to frying temperate and gently place each fry into the oil.*Beginners tip: to know if you oil is hot enough place a small piece of yucca into oil to see if it starts bubbling in oil. Or another way is using the base of the handle of a wooden spoon and placing that in the oil and bubbles will start to form around the wood.
- After about a minute, gently turn the yuca fries in the oil to get golden brown.
- Remove the fries and drain on a paper towel. While still hot, sprinkle fries with sea salt to taste.
- Fries can be served with ketchup or as I like it, hot sauce!*Alternately, the Yuca can also be boiled, drained, and then topped with a little butter or your favorite topping that you would use for a baked potato.
Camila's Guava Smoothie
- 2 white guavas (cut with skin on)
- 1/2 cup mango (frozen)
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen)
- 1 apple, cored and sliced (can use whole apple including core sliced)
- 1 cup water
- In a blender, add all ingredients and blend on high until smooth.
- If you like a thinner consistency, add a little more water.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Enjoy! Making either of these recipes? Be sure and share them with us on Instagram!
This article is sponsored by H-E-B.