This recipe goes well with everything!!!!
Eat it alone or enjoy it as a dish by itself! The cabbage will last you a long time in the refrigerator before you shred it, and then it will last you few days after you make this recipe! With the times we are going through now, it is essential to make things that will last longer and require you to take fewer trips to the store!
It is also a super inexpensive recipe to make, and a better-for-you version of coleslaw because it doesn’t have the mayo.
Pro Tip: Use a mandoline like this one to make the shredding easy!! I love this one because it’s easy to handle and has a non-skid base and ridges that keep the mandoline stable (those blades are sharp). You can find it on Amazon for $14.67.
If you watch the video above you’ll see that the amounts for your dressing may change depending on how big your cabbage is, or if you happen to get a dryer cabbage — You may need more oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. But add the extra ingredients slowly if they are needed, and start to find your own groove with the recipe!
If you want another tutorial, you can check out Camila making it on Access with Mario Lopez!
Enjoy! Send us a photo or a video if you make it!
Camila's No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1 green cabbage
- 1 large red apple julienned or thin sliced (I used Granny Smith )
- 1/2 or 1/4 red red onion thinly sliced (the amount depends on the size of your cabbage )
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- Finely shred the cabbage using a mandoline. If you don’t have one, use a sharp knife and shred as fine as you can! The thinner the cabbage, the better this will taste.
- Combine all the other Ingredients and mix together in a large bowl. Taste it as you go to see if it needs any more acidity, moisture or salt!
- Can be served right the way or it gets better next day!
Coleslaw photos by Lorianne DeVita