Craving a tasty and hearty soup that comes together in about 30 minutes? Look no further...
This Chinese Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup is a great starter soup but can also be an easy supper paired with one of our salads, and it comes together for about $20.
WOT we love about this recipe: is the aromatics, flavor, and texture of this soup. It literally just feels warm and hearty as you are eating it.
You can also get creative with the toppings for this recipe. Add a little extra tamari if you like, or try topping with your favorite hot pepper oil.
Chinese Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
- 1 bone-in chicken breast or fillet
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 splash sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions chopped *optional
- In a small pot place chicken breast and cover with water. Add the fresh ginger to the water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes. Once chicken is fully cooked, save the stock in the pot and the ginger. Transfer this to a larger soup pot. Shred the chicken and discard the bone in using a bone-in chicken breast.
- Over medium heat and in the large soup pot, combine the reserved chicken and ginger stock and 1 quart of chicken broth. Add the can of creamed corn and splash of sesame oil.
- Bring to a boil
- Add the shredded chicken and bring back to boil.
- In a small heat proof bowl and the cornstarch with small amount of chicken water to form a thin paste.
- Drizzle into the soup, mixing thoroughly. This will slightly thicken the soup.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs with a dash of the chicken water, then drizzle it into the pot very slowly from about 6 inches above the pot. Slowly stirring.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve.
If you want more $20 Tuesday recipes you can check them out here!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita
Note: $20 is an approximate cost for this dish. The actual price of all ingredients may vary.