We came up with this tasty and satisfying side dish when we were thinking, 'what else can we do with a potato?!'
Honestly, who doesn’t love potatoes? In the Women of Today Test Kitchen, we are big fans and this week we decided to play around with grilling them.
WOT we love about this recipe: It’s super simple to make, and you probably have all the ingredients in your refrigerator! You can boil the potatoes in advance, so they are ready to go when you’re ready to grill — Making them a wonderful addition to your weeknight meals. This side dish is also very budget-friendly!
Grilling the potatoes not only makes them look extra special, but it also brings out a wonderful smokey flavor and aroma. They are quite a treat. If you are planning on grilling, we hope you give these a try!
Easy Grilled Potatoes
- 6 small Russet or baking potatos, scrubbed well
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large pot that will comfortably fit the potatoes, add enough water to cover the potatoes and add ½ cup of sea salt.
- Boil the potatoes until just fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from water and set aside. (They can be cooled and refrigerated for later grilling at this point). Some of the salt will dry onto the skin of the potato and you might notice it has a white cast. This will add extra flavor to the skin.
- Let potatoes cool enough to handle and then slice in half, lengthwise.
- Just before grilling, brush the flesh side of the potato with melted butter and place on the grill flesh side down. Depending on the heat of your grill, grill long enough to get grill marks and then flip over to grill the skin side. Approximately 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from grill, plate, and sprinkle the sliced green onions over all the potatoes.
- Serve with sour cream on the side if desired.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita