Introducing $20 Tuesday at Women of Today! Each week, the WOT Test Kitchen will be featuring a delicious recipe that can feed a family of four, all for around $20!
Easy cooking shouldn’t mean compromising flavor (or your budget!). This simple and cost-conscious Easy Slow Cooked Pulled Pork will easily feed four or you can freeze any leftovers for a later date and have another meal that only needs to be reheated.
WOT we love about this recipe: It’s a tender and juicy roast that literally breaks apart with a fork when finished slow cooking.
You can also get creative with your toppings just like you would for a burger bar (try using what you already have in your fridge). If you like a little heat, we highly recommend adding some pickled jalapenos!
This recipe along with our Greek Roasted Potatoes (recipe below) will tally in at around $20.00.
Easy Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
- 4-5 lbs pork loin roast
- 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced in half
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 brioche rolls
- havarti cheese
- Prepare pork by making slices into the roast with a paring knife and stuffing each slice with a slice of garlic.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic powder, sage, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if you like a little extra heat. Rub the mixture all over the roast. Place in the refrigerator covered and overnight.
- If your slow cooker has a stovetop function, turn on the stovetop function and brown the roast on both sides.
- With your roast in the slow cooker, set your slow cooker on high for 4 hours, add the chicken stock, and cover.
- After 4 hours, the roast should be tender enough to pull apart with two forks. Pull the roast and remove any fat that is noticeable.
- Reduce the slow cooker to low and let the pulled pork simmer in the juices for at least another hour.
Greek Roasted Potatoes
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into wedges leaving skin on
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, paprika, dried oregano, minced garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken stock and chopped parsley. Set aside.
- In a large roasting pan, add your prepared potato wedges. Pour the seasoning mixture over the potatoes and gently toss the potatoes so the dressing mixture is evenly distributed.
- Cover with parchment paper and bake in oven for 45 min.
- Remove roasting pan from oven, toss the potatoes and return to the oven uncovered and bake for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown around the edges.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook!
Note: $20 is an approximate cost for this dish. The actual price of all ingredients may vary.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita