It’s time to try the new grain on the block, Farro! Served with pistachios, kale and a delicious dressing, this salad is just as tasty as it is healthy.
Move over quinoa, you have some competition! Although not gluten-free, Farro has the same calories and protein, less fat and more calcium per cup than quinoa. The rice-like grain is then topped with heart-friendly pistachios and superfood kale which is packed with vitamins (especially A, C and K) and minerals to make a delicious salad. Even after tossing the salad with dressing, it can be enjoyed as a packed lunch up to 2 days later, without going soggy!
This recipe is by Carmen of Every Last Bite.
Farro, Kale & Pistachio Salad
- 1 cup Farro
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- In a pot on medium heat allow the farro and 5 cups water to simmer for 25- 30 minutes until the farro is softened but still slightly chewy. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the crushed garlic, mustard, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl combine the pistachios, shredded kale, chopped parsley and celery. Toss with the dressing and serve.