A gluten free chocolate cake recipe that is also easy to make and free of refined sugar? Sign us up!
Straight out of the Women of Today Test Kitchen is this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Maple Bourbon Whipped Cream — It’s delicious any time of the year, but we are adding it to our Easter feast!
Not only is this a better-for-you sweet treat, but it is also incredibly easy to make.
WOT we love about this recipe: The maple bourbon whipped cream perfectly complements the subtly sweet chocolate cake! Making it a great combination of flavors that aren’t too sweet. Of course, the bourbon is optional, but we love the depth it adds to the flavor.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- Softened butter and 2 tbsp almond flour to prepare the cake pan
- Powdered sugar to dust the cake (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut palm sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk eggs, coconut palm sugar and vanilla.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, gradually, combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix for 2-3 minutes until mixture is well incorporated.
- In an 8” springform pan, generously butter the bottom and sides of the springform pan. Add about 2 tablespoons of almond flour. Gently shake the pan to dust the bottom of pan, then tip the pan and roll the almond flour to coat the sides of the pan. Shake any excess almond flour that did not adhere to the pan. This will ensure that your cake will not stick to the pan. You can also use a regular 8” cake pan and do the same, but we used a springform pan for this recipe.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the springform pan and then place the springform pan onto a thin baking sheet. This extra step is helpful when using a springform pan as the butter from the sides of the springform pan can seep out when baking and keeps your oven clean! Place in the cake in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If using a regular cake pan, you do not need to place on a baking sheet.
- Leave cake in the pan for 10 minutes before opening the springform pan or if using a regular cake pan, inverting it onto a cooling rack.
- Wait until cakes have completely cooled before storing them until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, plate the cake and lightly dust with powdered sugar.
Maple Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp bourbon (we used Longbranch)
- Just before serving, whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the maple syrup and whip until cream becomes firm. If using bourbon, add the 1 tablespoon of bourbon and whip until incorporated and cream is firm. Serve immediately.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita