We added a spicy twist to this BBQ chicken, and it's a must-try!
If you are looking for a delicious recipe to whip up over Labor Day weekend or at your next BBQ, this new Grilled Chicken with Chipotle BBQ Sauce will surely be a crowd-pleaser!
For anyone who has tried and loved our Chipotle Tequila Shrimp, this recipe is for you.
The sauce for this chicken is a perfect mix of spicy, smokey, and sweet, but if you are grilling for family and friends who might not love spice, we suggest lightly brushing the sauce on the chicken and serving this chicken with extra sauce on the side.
Note: If you do not have time to marinade, you can skip this step, but we highly recommend it if you have the time. Your chicken will become even more flavorful if it has time to absorb all the flavors!
Grilled Chicken with Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 7 oz can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 6 tbsp tequila *see note
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the marinade: In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and whisk to combine. Add the boneless skinless chicken breasts to the bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- For the Chipotle BBQ sauce: In a small food processor or a jar using an immersion blender, combine the entire can of chipotles with adobo sauce, tequila, lime juice, garlic, and brown sugar, and blend until smooth.
- *Note – If you do not want to use tequila, you can substitute chicken stock in its place.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, pour the blended Chipotle BBQ sauce into the skillet and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, 5-10 minutes. If you’re ready to grill, you can use immediately or refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and place the marinated chicken breasts smooth side down. Grill until the edges whiten and the chicken feels firm when pressed with tongs.
- Flip the chicken and brush your desired amount of chipotle BBQ sauce on the cooked side of the chicken. Grill until the chicken is fully cooked and firm.
- Remove chicken and serve with extra chipotle sauce on the side.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita