If you're on the hunt for a mouthwatering shrimp appetizer, look no further!
Your appetizer game will never be the same after you make these. Our Chipotle Tequila Shrimp recipe is the perfect balance of smoky, spicy and downright delicious flavors! The magic lies in the combination of chipotle, garlic, tequila, and lime, elevating the sauce to an entirely new level.
WOT we love about this recipe: It comes together in a breeze, taking only around 20 minutes to prepare, and you can easily make it ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to eat. We suggest pulling it out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving. How easy is that?
Chipotle Tequila Shrimp
- 4-5 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, canned
- 6 tbsp tequila *see note
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
- 2-3 tbsp adobo sauce from the Chipotle can
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ lbs peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Reserved sauce
- Combine the chipotles, tequila, lime juice, adobo sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and salt in a small food processor or using an emersion blender and jar. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Add the olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp and drizzle about 3 tablespoons of the sauce over the top of the shrimp. Stir the shrimp every couple of minutes until it is opaque and firm. Remove the cooked shrimp from the skillet.
- Using the same skillet over medium heat, pour the remaining sauce into the skillet, cook for 2-3 minutes, and the sauce will slightly thicken. Pour sauce into a serving cup.
- The shrimp and sauce can be served immediately or made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- *Note – If you do not want to use tequila, you can substitute chicken stock in its place.
All photos by Lorianne DeVita