It's soup season and if you are looking for a healthy and hearty chowder, this is it!
Welcome to Women of Today’s first-ever Hearty Corn Chowder — and in our usual fashion, we made it better for you!
This recipe is loaded with flavor and incredibly filling, but we cut down on the amount of cream and eliminated the butter and flour mixture used in traditional chowders, which makes this version lighter without sacrificing any flavor.
Serve this with your favorite salad and voila, you have a complete meal!
Hearty Corn Chowder
- 6 strips bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped and peeled carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled & diced (you can use any white potato)
- 4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (optional)
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- crispy bacon
- In a heavy stockpot over medium heat, add your bacon pieces and cook until crispy (about 8 minutes). Reserving some of the crispy bacon for the garnish.
- Once the bacon is crispy, add the chopped onions and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery, stir to combine, and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring heat up to a slow boil.
- Add the diced potatoes, corn, and cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and add the heavy cream, give the soup a nice stir and taste. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish bowls with the rest of the bacon.
Making this recipe? Be sure and share it with us on the WOT Instagram or on Facebook! We want to see how you make this recipe your own!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita