This is one of those recipes that is great as an easy weekday meal, or can impress guests at a dinner party.
The flavor combinations in this Honey Ginger Glazed Chicken and Carrots bring together savory and sweet — A flavor profile we have been enjoying in the WOT Test Kitchen a lot lately and loving!
To keep this meal price conscious and true to our $20 Tuesday series, we used chicken thighs, but this recipe would work equally as well with bone-in chicken breasts.
A great tip for this recipe: If you have a cast iron skillet or the equivalent, you could easily make this a one pot / pan meal (who doesn’t love less clean up?!)
To trim down your time on this recipe, prepare and cook the carrots while your chicken is roasting. We used multi colored carrots to give this dish a little extra color and the result looked beautiful on the plate.
Honey Ginger Glazed Chicken and Carrots
- 6-8 chicken thighs with bone in and skin on
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 6-8 whole carrots, peeled and cut into sticks (we used multicolor)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper (optional). Stir to combine well and season the chicken with the rub on both sides.
- Place chicken in an ovenproof baking dish or in an ovenproof skillet (making this a one pot). Roast chicken in oven for 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Boil carrot sticks in salted water for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, cider vinegar, and fresh minced ginger.
- After the 40 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and brush with half of the honey ginger mixture and return to oven. Turn the temperature up to 475 degrees F and roast until the skin begins to crisp, about 5 minutes. Watch the chicken as it could brown quicker or take a little longer depending on your oven.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, place in serving dish and cover. If using an ovenproof skillet, place the skillet on top of your cooktop. Otherwise, transfer all the pan juices from the roasting pan to a skillet to finish off the carrots.
- Add the cooked carrots to the pan and add the remaining honey ginger glaze. Stir to combine over medium heat until carrots are glazed.
- Serve the chicken with the glazed carrots and brush any juices from the chicken on top.
If you want more $20 Tuesday recipes you can check them out here!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita
Note: $20 is an approximate cost for this dish. The actual price of all ingredients may vary.