This tonic is one of my signature power beverages — I make a big pot and sip on it throughout the day. These spices — turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon — are some of the most potent anti-inflammatory ingredients out there, and by soothing inflammation, they may help keep your immune system functioning properly.
Plus, some preliminary studies suggest that dandelion and fennel may have antiviral effects. So don’t wait — hot or cold, this tonic can help strengthen your body’s defense system.
Bonus: these ingredients also help calm your digestive tract and naturally detox your system. Starting my day with this really makes a difference in how I feel!
— Rachel Beller
Immunity Power Tonic
- 8 cups water
- 2 inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into 1⁄2-inch circles
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley and/or fresh mint
- 2 dandelion tea bags
- 2 fennel tea bags, or 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2-3 black peppercorns or a pinch of black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, lemon slices, parsley, mint(if using), dandelion tea bags, fennel tea bags (or seeds, if using), black pepper, and 8 cups water. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Strain, if desired, and pour into mugs. The tea can also be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can enjoy chilled or reheated before serving.
In case you missed it: Rachel + Camila made this Immunity Tonic on Instagram live. Check it out!