Why pan fry when you can bake?? French toast has never been healthier or easier to make than this oven baked lemon and blueberry version from our friend Carmen of Every Last Bite! Enjoy her delicious recipe for a breakfast favorite.
I took French toast and made it easier to prepare, healthier and more flavorful then then traditional pan-fried version. Gluten free bread is broken up into chunks and then soaked in a lemony egg mixture until moist and full of flavor. I added in blueberries and then baked the French toast in the oven for 20 minutes, the result is a deliciously moist and fluffy French toast casserole with refreshingly zesty citrus flavor and juicy blueberries in every bite. You can prepare the French toast casserole the night before and leave it to soak in the juices overnight, the morning of just throw it in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, so easy!
Lemon Blueberry Baked French Toast
- 4 cups gluten free bread torn into chunks
- 3/4 cup organic blueberries
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp organic honey
- juice from one large orange
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish
- Place the torn up chunks of bread and blueberries in the baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, milk, orange juice, lemon juice and zest until well combined
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread and toss with your hands so that all of the bread is well coated. Allow to sit for approximately 20 minutes or alternatively place in the fridge covered until ready to bake (can be left to sit up to overnight)
- Bake the French toast in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden on top. Sprinkle with a handful of fresh blueberries and a dusting of icing sugar before serving.
If you aren’t already, be sure and follow Carmen on Instagram for more drool-worthy recipes! Enjoy!
Women of Today