Looking for a way to make breakfast a little more interesting and keep things healthy? We've got you covered with this recipe for Breakfast Tostadas.
These breakfast tostadas are a fresh twist on a delicious Mexican-inspired breakfast. Packed with extra veggies and containing no sugar and gluten-free, they make for a healthy way to start your day.
We also love that you can keep the ingredients in the fridge and ready to go and easily assemble them when you need a healthy meal (you really can eat them any time of the day!).
- 8 corn tostadas
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups mixed greens
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado (sliced)
- thinly sliced red onion or pickled onions
- 2 hardboiled eggs (quartered)
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese or thinly grated colby or Monterey Jack
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa — to serve on the side
- Rinse the black beans well and drain. Place them in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans to form a paste and add the minced garlic, combine well.
- In another bowl, add the mixed greens a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread a think layer of the mashed beans on each tostada.
- Top beans with your seasoned greens. Add your thinly sliced red onion or pickled onions on top of the greens.
- Add your sliced avocado on top of the onions. Then top with your quartered piece of hardboiled egg and finally, top with some crumbled cheese.
- Plate two tostadas on each plate and serve with your favorite salsa on the side.
And if you’re looking for more ways to cut sugar from your diet, be sure and check out our WOT September Sugar Talk Series!