When we came across a version of this one-pot recipe, we knew we had to head straight to the WOT Test Kitchen!
We were inspired by a recipe we saw by Spoonful of Flavor and wanted to share our twist for this one-pot meal with our community. Because who doesn’t love an entire meal that can be made in one pot?!
This dish turned out to be a total winner! It’s a great meal and packed with a lot of flavors. It is also really easy to prepare (yay) and you might find you have a lot of the ingredients already in your kitchen!
Lemon Chicken + Vegetable One-Pot Meal
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken cut into 1” cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup small pasta (Acini di Pepe or Orzo)
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup asparagus cut into bite size pieces (Use only the top half of each stalk)
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 8-10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 lemon sliced thin
- Extra grated cheese if desired
- Over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet or wok.
- When the skillet or wok is hot, add the chicken. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until the chicken is golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet or wok. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Stirring the onion and garlic together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta mix the onion and garlic so it is well combined. Increase the heat to medium high heat.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover the pan or wok and reduce to a simmer for about five minutes.
- Add the asparagus and simmer for five minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet or wok.
- Add the lemon zest and juice of the lemon into the skillet or wok.
- Add the grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the baby spinach and using a folding motion, combine the fresh baby spinach into the mixture.
- You can place the entire mixture into a casserole dish, garnish and serve family style or plate from the skillet or wok.
If you make this recipe, be sure and share a photo with us on the WOT Instagram!
All photos by Lorianne DeVita